Marriage License


Marriage Licenses are issued between the hours of 8:30 AM and 4:00 PM, Monday through Friday. Allow at least 20 to 30 minutes to process.

You may obtain a marriage license in any county in the state and get married in any county, but the license MUST be returned to the county of issuance.

There is no waiting period, you may be married immediately or within 60 days from the date the marriage license is issued.

Step 1: Complete the Online Marriage Application.

Step 2: Complete  the Affidavit of Eligibility to Marry form.

Step 3: Email a valid picture ID, Social Security card (or something with your name and social security number on it, such as a W2), a copy of your final divorce decree if you have been married before, and the completed Affidavit of Eligibility to Marry form. Please email these documents, as well as your contact phone number, to our secured email [email protected].

Step 4: Once you have completed all 3 steps, call our office at 828-884-3162 to make an appointment.

Both applicants should be present at the time of your appointment.

                                                                                    Additional Information

  • Once the ceremony is performed, the completed license must be returned to the Register of Deeds Office within 10 days. A certificate of marriage can then be issued.


Fee for license is $60.00. Cash, Money order, Check, Debit and Credit cards are accepted. If you use a card it will charge a 3% convenience fee. Please if at all possible pay with cash.




Is a marriage license required to get married?

Yes, according to the general statues of North Carolina, you must purchase a marriage license before your ceremony to get married in North Carolina.

NCGS § 51-6 states: No minister, officer, or any other person authorized to solemnize a marriage under the laws of this State shall perform a ceremony of marriage [...] until there is delivered to that person a license for the marriage of the said persons, signed by the register of deeds of the county in which the marriage license was issued or by a lawful deputy or assistant. There must be at least two witnesses to the marriage ceremony.

Once I have a marriage license, who can I contact to be married in a civil ceremony?

Once you obtain a marriage license, marriages can be performed by a civil magistrate. ** If you would like the Magistrate's Office to perform your marriage ceremony, please call their office at 828-884-3154 to schedule an appointment.  You will need to bring two witnesses with you and the ceremony and the cost is $20.00.

How do I change my name after marriage?

First, please obtain a certified copy of your marriage license from our office. You must then present this document along with other required documentation  to the Social Security Administration. Once you have applied for a social security card in your new name, you may visit the Department of Motor Vehicles to update your driver license.

Social Security Administration                                                  DMV — Driver License Office
205 S. Grove St                                                                             50 Commerce St  

Hendersonville, NC 28792                                                            Brevard, NC 28712

1-866-572-8361                                                                            828-883-2070