The TAC is made up of citizen volunteers and interested community members and is supported by the Planning & Community Development Department. Join Us!
Any citizen can attend a TAC meeting or apply to be appointed to the TAC which:
- Reviews current road conditions, advising the County Board of Commissioners and the NC Department of Transportation (DOT).
- Participates in transportation project prioritization in Transylvania County as part of the North Carolina's State Transportation Improvement Program. (NC DOT Division 14).
- Participates in the development of the County's Comprehensive Transportation Plan every five to ten years. The process of updating the Comprehensive Transportation has begun.
- Considers alternate transportation projects including pedestrian, bicycling, and greenway trails.
The Transportation Advisory Committee (TAC) meets the 2nd Tuesday in January, April, July and October in the Commissioners' Chambers located at 101 S. Broad Street in the Administration Building at 7:00pm. Special meetings are held as needed to prioritize transportation projects for funding through the SPOT 6.0 process.
How projects are prioritized for NC DOT funding:
- STIP Process
- Public Survey Data on P 5.0 Projects in Transylvania County
- Public Survey Data on P 5.0 Projects in Land of Sky RPO
- Land of Sky RPO project scores for P 5.0 as of August 2018
- TAC Recommended Projects for Prioritization through SPOT 5.0
- SPOT 5.0 Key Dates
- Projects Submitted to NC DOT from Regional Planning Organization for Prioritization for SPOT 4.0
- 2018 – 2027 State Transportation Improvement Plan (STIP)
Additional Transportation Information:
- Transylvania County 2016 Crash Data
- 2016 Crash Ranking of Cities with Populations Less Than 10,000
- North Carolina Scenic Byways
- Transylvania County Scenic Corridor Map
- Video on Roundabouts
- NC DOT Roundabout Presentation
- NCDOT Traffic Volume Interactive Map
- NC DOT Volume Capacity Diagram
- NC DOT Feasibility Study FS-1514A; Proposed improvements to Wilson Road (SR 1540)
- NC DOT Caldwell Street Project in Brevard
- January 2016 NC DOT Division 14 Update:
- Construction on many bridges in Transylvania County has begun.
- Over 17 miles of roads in the County will be resurfaced using “hot mix” asphalt.
- Large projects include Caldwell Street, US 64W (project R2409C) between Rosman and Lake Toxaway Dam, and Wilson Road.
- The Caldwell Street project (U-5104) will likely begin in May 2016 after utilities are relocated.
- The US 64 W project (R2409C) should be underway in 2018. The project specifies a 12 foot road with 8 foot grassed shoulders and the shoulders may be able to be paved to accommodate bicycles. NC DOT will check to see if it is early enough in the project to allow for that change.
- The Wilson Road project has received funding and scoping has begun for the project. The re-alignment of the road will improve site distance for the driveways and roads coming into Wilson Road. Concerns and interests identified by the County in previous correspondence, include the need for guard rails along the river, extending the bridge on the northern end of the project to better accommodate flooding, increasing the travel lane for vehicles, straightening or realigning the curves, providing paved bike lanes or shoulders with rumble strips for bikes, improving the connection of Wilson Road and US 276, and realigning the intersection of Wilson Road with Ecusta Road.