JHPC serves as a leader in historic preservation through coordinating partnership efforts, such as the Historic Downtown Walking Tour Guide, and preserving historic structures by supporting historic designation.
As a Certified Local Government (CLG), JHPC applied for Historic Preservation Funds from the State Historic Preservation Office (SHPO) to facilitate an architectural and cultural survey of African American communities in Transylvania County. This project will allow existing structures and related architectural resources of the community to be understood within a historical context. Interviews with community members are currently being scheduled.
The JHPC reviews applications for Local Historic Landmark Designations, which are buildings, sites, structures or objects that have historic significance - either culturally or architecturally. Currently, there are 21 properties in Transylvania County that hold this prestigious designation as a local historic landmark. Individual properties can also be listed on the National Register of Historic Places and become eligible for federal tax credit programs. View the local historic landmarks and national historic districts of Transylvania County here.
The National Park Service has Guidelines for Rehabilitating Historic Buildings that are applicable to local historic landmarks and used by JHPC as they consider a Certificate of Appropriateness Application to ensure the guidelines are followed. Property owners of local historic landmarks are eligible for a 50% deferral of annual property taxes for maintaining the historical architectural features.
The Joint Historic Preservation Commission (JHPC) is made up of nine members appointed by the County Commissioners and meets at 4:00pm on the second Tuesday of each month in the Community Services Building's First Floor Conference Room. Become a JHPC member by filling out an application here.
Other agencies that also preserve our cultural heritage include:
- Transylvania County Historical Society
- Transylvania Heritage Museum
- To view more about Transylvania County's history, visit the Library's History page here
- Transylvania County Designations on the National Historic Registry (or map)
- Explore Transylvania County heritage - Blue Ridge National Heritage Trail Brochure with Map
- June - meeting minutes will be available after they are approved
- May - Handout on History Related Groups is available here.
- December - Cancelled
- January - Cancelled
- June - No quorum
- October - Joint Meeting of History Related Groups Handout